Uber Rider Protection
Uber’s Approach to Rider Safety
To create a company that is well trusted and reliable, there must be a good relationship established with its customers. The success of a company could not be possible without receiving good feedback from those who are using their services. With Uber establishing safety measures and convenience for its riders, the rideshare company has continued to experience growth and popularity throughout the United States.
Uber has made it an objective to ensure that its riders are safely traveling with reliable rideshare drivers. To confirm that these drivers are eligible to offer transportation services to the public, they must undergo background checks and vehicle inspections. Once the driver has passed each requirement, Uber will allow them to work under their company. However, annual background checks and vehicle requirements must continue to be completed to ensure that the driver is still qualified to work with Uber.
If Uber hires negligent drivers, the rideshare company may face major backlash. However, if a driver has followed all safety guidelines, but is involved in an accident with a reckless driver, Uber and the rideshare driver will not receive negative feedback, unless it is found that the rideshare driver had contributed to some form of negligence.
Riders who have been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident are welcomed to reach out to West Coast Trial Lawyers to get started on the process of filing a personal injury claim against the party at-fault for damages. Our experienced Uber and Lyft accident attorneys have won more than 5,000 personal injury cases and recovered over $1 billion in settlements for our clients. Due to our achievements, we have been acknowledged as one of the top personal injury law firms.
If you have any questions in regards to an Uber or Lyft accident or would like to schedule a free consultation at our personal injury law firm, you may contact our 24/7 legal team by calling 213-927-3700 or filling out a quick contact form.
Uber’s Safety Features for Riders
Uber has incorporated many safety measures to reduce the likelihood of its riders encountering potential dangers. As previously stated, performing background checks and vehicle inspections is one of the most important safety measures the rideshare company follows to ensure that riders are being taken care of by a trustworthy driver. It is important to note additional safety tips Uber and Lyft drivers can follow.
Below is a list of other additional features that are included in Uber’s safety measures.
- 24/7 Contact Support. Uber has a customer service team that is ready to respond to any urgent safety matters that need to be handled as soon as possible.
- Emergency Assistance Button. Riders can access the in-app emergency button to contact 911. This feature will give the dispatcher access to your current location and trip information.
- Safety Toolkit. Riders may access all of Uber’s safety features by tapping on the Safety Toolkit.
- Share My Trip. Riders may share their trip information with friends and family to keep them updated on their current location.
- GPS Tracking. Every Uber ride is tracked by a GPS. This will allow the app to know your current whereabouts.
- RideCheck. By using sensors and GPS data, this safety feature can find out if your trip has unexpectedly paused for a long period of time. The app will check on you and provide additional assistance to determine a solution to the issue.
- On Trip Reporting. If a rider is feeling unsafe during a trip, they may immediately report it to Uber. An Uber representative from their safety team will contact the rider shortly after to acquire additional information about the ride.
- Phone Number Privacy. A rider will not have to worry about their number being exposed to an Uber driver. The app creates anonymous phone numbers to help keep personal information private.
- 2-Way Ratings. This feature can benefit a rider and rideshare driver. If either party is not satisfied with the other's actions, they can submit a low rating to Uber. This will prevent both parties from being matched in the future.
Uber’s Safety Policy
Uber continues to update its safety policy as each year goes by. The rideshare company is often reviewing feedback submitted by rideshare drivers and riders to determine what new guidelines should be enforced. The newest safety requirements relate to COVID-19.
As COVID-19 continues to spread, Uber has created new safety policies to ensure that rideshare drivers and riders are protected against the contagious virus.
- Wear a Face Mask. To reduce the likelihood of contracting COVID-19, Uber required rideshare drivers and riders to wear a mask when inside the vehicle. Now, it has become optional.
- Sit in the Back Seat. Riders must sit in the back seat of the vehicle to create a safe distance with the driver.
- Wash Wear Air. This movement began when Uber encouraged its rideshare drivers and riders to wash their hands before a ride, wear a mask, and have the windows rolled down to allow airflow. Uber has partnered with two organizations, It's On Us and the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, to raise awareness and educate communities about their message.
Uber also emphasizes the types of behaviors that are not allowed during trips. Sexual assault, physical assault, aggression, negligent driving, and discrimination are harmful actions that should not be done, regardless of the circumstances. No rideshare driver or rider should place the other in a dangerous situation that could cause serious injuries or death.
If a driver or rider is found committing such reckless actions, they can be banned from accessing the app.
West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help
If you were involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, our experienced personal injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you get a fair settlement offer. We are committed to resolving your legal issues as quickly as possible while receiving the best results. Our clients are represented on a contingency fee basis. If we do not win, you owe us nothing. There is no financial risk to prevent you from reaching out.
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.