Fresno Bicycle Accident Attorney
What You Should Consider Doing After a Bicycle Accident and How You Can Determine Who Is At-Fault for DamagesIn 2019, Fresno was ranked as the 12th city with the worst drivers in California. It was reported that an estimate of 400 traffic collisions would happen each month. With such a high number of traffic accidents occurring so often, it has left bicyclists in a tough situation. Compared to drivers, bicyclists are left vulnerable while out on the road. With little to no protection, a bicycle accident could cause them to get seriously injured or killed. Those who have been involved in a bicycle accident in Fresno may be entitled to receive recoverable compensation for their losses. At West Coast Trial Lawyers, our Fresno bicycle accident attorneys are available 24/7 to offer legal assistance. We have won more than 5,000 personal injury cases and recovered over $1 billion in settlements for our clients. Due to our achievements, we have been ranked as one of the top personal injury law firms in Fresno. If you are interested in using our services, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling (559) 272-9881 or emailing [email protected] to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at our Fresno personal injury law firm. What to Do After a Bicycle Accident In order to build a strong claim, you should consider following the tips listed below.
- Do Not Leave the Scene of the Accident. Even if no one appears to be hurt or if injuries may seem minor, you should not leave the scene of the accident.
- Contact the Police. If you notice any injuries or damages, you should call 911 immediately. The police will arrive at the scene of the accident and conduct an official police report. Paramedics may also be present to provide medical care to those who need it.
- Share Information With All Parties Involved in the Accident. Make sure to acquire the other party’s license plate number, drivers license details, insurance information, and contact information.
- Obtain Witness Information. If you notice any witnesses nearby, you should ask for their consent to get their contact information. Witness testimonies can greatly support your claim.
- Gather Evidence. Try to take pictures and/or video footage of your injuries, damages, and the location of where the bicycle accident took place. You should also request a copy of the official police report. Lastly, it would be ideal to note down your perspective of the accident in a journal or diary. Do not forget to include the date and time in your entry.
- Watch What You Say. While you may be flooded with emotions, it is important to watch what you say. You should never apologize or suggest who may be at-fault for causing the accident. Remember, any statements that you make can be used against you later on.
- Seek Medical Attention. Even if your injuries may seem minor, you should get it checked out by a doctor. The doctor will examine the injured area by running imaging tests to determine if a diagnosis may be needed. If an issue arises, you may be given a treatment plan to follow in order to recover.
- Reach Out to an Attorney. One of the biggest mistakes a bicycle accident victim can make is attempting to handle their case on their own. Bicycle accidents often involve complex situations and damages that are best handled by an experienced bicycle accident attorney. They will guide you in the right direction to help you acquire the compensation you deserve for your losses.
- Bicyclist. If a bicyclist is found going against the rules of the road, such as riding in a lane that is not the bicycle lane or riding in prohibited areas, they could trigger an accident and face legal repercussions for their negligent behavior.
- Driver. If a driver is occupying a bicycle lane or is not carefully observing the road, they could cause a bicycle accident.
- Manufacturer. If a vehicle or bicycle was improperly manufactured, the manufacturers may be held accountable for the accident.
- Company. If the company knowingly sold a faulty product and did not issue any warnings to notify the buyer of defects found in the vehicle or bicycle that was being sold, they will face legal consequences.
Available DamagesDamages are a type of monetary award that is determined by a court of law to help compensate an aggrieved individual for any losses or injuries sustained as a result of someone’s negligence. Economic damages are intended to compensate a plaintiff for losses that a dollar amount can readily be attached to. It is calculated by determining the amount of out-of-pocket losses an aggrieved individual has or will expect to incur as a result of their injuries. A few examples of economic losses include loss of earning capacity, medical bills, and lost wages. Non-economic damages are essentially intended to cover losses that are thought of as subjective and will not necessarily cover out-of-pocket losses. It may include compensation for emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. The third type of damages a California court may award are known as punitive damages. Punitive damages are intended as punishment and are only awarded when a defendant’s behavior is especially harmful. It is relatively rare and, in fact, was only incorporated in 5 percent of all verdicts. West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help If you have sustained injuries in a bicycle accident as a result of someone’s negligence or deliberate acts of malice, you have the right to hold the guilty party responsible for your losses. A Fresno bicycle accident attorney at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you recover compensation for your losses. To schedule a free consultation at our Fresno personal injury law firm, please contact our 24/7 legal team by calling (559) 272-9881 or emailing [email protected].
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.