Involved in an E-Scooter Accident? Contact West Coast Trial Lawyers Today for Legal Assistance
At West Coast Trial Lawyers, our expert e-scooter accident attorneys have over 100 years of collective legal experience in handling personal injury cases. We have won more than 5,000 cases, which has accumulated to over $1.5 billion recovered for our clients. Due to our achievements, we have been recognized as one of the top personal injury law firms in California.
Our duty as a personal injury law firm is to ensure that each one of our clients are satisfied with the outcome of their cases. We operate on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that if we do not win, you owe us nothing. To schedule a free consultation, please contact our 24/7 legal team by calling (888) 585-2764 or filling out our quick contact form.
How Common Are E-Scooter Accidents in Los Angeles?
According to a UCLA study published in 2022, the injury rate of e-scooter riders in greater Los Angeles, from January of 2014 to May of 2020, has increased far more than the national rates for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
The new study also went over the total number of patients who had been admitted to a hospital due to injuries caused by e-scooter accidents. About 1,354 people were treated at UCLA Health emergency departments, urgent care centers, and 180 UCLA outpatient clinics.
Before the launch of shared e-scooters, on average, 13 e-scooter accident injuries would occur each year. After shared-e scooters were introduced to the public, e-scooter injuries rose with 595 injuries reported in 2018 and 672 injuries reported in 2019.
UCLA released another study back in 2019 that focused on e-scooter accident injuries and factors contributing to the cause of e-scooter accidents.
It was reported that 80 percent of e-scooter accidents were caused by the rider falling down, 11 percent were from physical contact with objects, and 9 percent were from getting struck by a driver, bicyclist, or other e-scooter rider.
Out of 249 people involved in an e-scooter accident, 92 percent of those who suffered from injuries were riders, while 8 percent were non-riders. 4 percent of these riders wore a fitted helmet and 5 percent had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of or above 0.05 percent.
The most common types of injuries that occurred in these e-scooter accidents were head injuries (40 percent), broken bones (32 percent), and cuts and bruises (28 percent). About 15 people were transported to a hospital, with two patients placed in an intensive care unit (ICU).
Safety Tips for E-Scooter Riders
Riding an e-scooter can be dangerous, especially if you are inexperienced. It is important to learn about what types of precautions you should take if you plan on riding your own personal e-scooter or a shared e-scooter in the streets of Los Angeles.
Below, our e-scooter accident attorneys have created a list of safety tips that should help you get a better idea of what to do to lower your chances of getting involved in an e-scooter accident.
- Wear a fitted helmet if you are a minor. According to California Vehicle Code 21212, those who are under the age of 18 are not allowed to operate a motorized scooter unless they are wearing a fitted helmet that is in compliance with standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Follow all traffic laws. You may only ride up to 15 mph on a bicycle path or trail. Sidewalks are not allowed to be occupied by an e-scooter rider.
- Do not allow another e-scooter rider to share an e-scooter with you. You can lose balance of the e-scooter, which may result in the two of you falling and injuring yourselves.
- Do not ride an e-scooter while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Either substance can drastically affect your vision and stability, thus making it difficult to properly operate the e-scooter. You will increase your chances of getting into an e-scooter accident that could result in serious or fatal injuries.
What to Do After an E-Scooter Accident
Although it is easier said than done, you should try to remain alert and focused on your surroundings after an e-scooter accident. You will need to obtain important information and evidence. This will help strengthen your personal injury claim if you choose to pursue legal actions against other parties involved.
Below, we have created a list of steps we recommend victims of e-scooter accidents to consider taking in order to deliver a strong, well-constructed claim that will help better your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
- Contact the police if you notice any injuries or damages. The police will arrive at the scene of the accident and conduct a police report. You may request a copy of the police report to use as evidence for your personal injury claim.
- Request medical attention. If paramedics are present at the scene of the accident, you should request a medical evaluation regardless of how minor your injury may be. This can help prove that you were, in fact, injured from the e-scooter accident. You could also schedule a doctor's appointment and get your injured area examined by a specialist. Your medical records of these doctor visits will be saved on file and can be used as evidence.
- Obtain information from all parties involved in the e-scooter accident. If a driver caused the e-scooter accident, you should ask for their driver’s license details, license plate number, contact information, and insurance information. If another e-scooter rider was at-fault for the accident, you should ask for their contact information and insurance information (if the e-scooter rider has insurance).
- Acquire witness information. If you notice any witnesses nearby, make sure to ask for their contact information. Witness testimonies can greatly support your personal injury claim.
- Hire an e-scooter accident attorney. An e-scooter accident attorney will help build up your claim and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you are given a fair settlement offer that will cover damages caused by the accident.
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.