8 Safe Driving Tips for Truck Drivers
Here’s a List of Safety Tips You Should Consider Taking When Driving a Truck on California Roads
Due to the immense pressure a truck driver is under to meet delivery deadlines, the potential for mistakes and negligent driving can exponentially increase. A truck driver who is found in violation of California’s safety regulations and causes an accident may be liable to an injured driver for their losses.
The majority of all truck accidents are caused by a truck driver who was not using reasonable care while driving or who was in violation of safety regulations. Below, our experienced truck accident attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will discuss several important recommendations for safely driving a commercial truck.
If you were a victim of a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your losses. Our 24/7 legal team is available to assist victims of personal injury. We will help strengthen your claim and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you are given a fair settlement offer.
Top 8 Safe Driving Tips for Commercial Truck Drivers
- Avoid heavy traffic. If possible, try to avoid driving during peak traffic hours. It goes without saying that anytime there is more traffic, especially during rush hour, the likelihood of an accident significantly goes up.
- Check out the weather beforehand. It’s a good idea to know what weather conditions will be like before hitting the road. It is recommended to frequently check weather reports as you are on the road, as well. That way you will be more prepared for poor weather conditions and can plan ahead.
- Use more caution when driving at night. Driving at night requires extra care, especially while driving on more challenging roads. When in doubt, move slowly, be aware of your surroundings, and exercise extra caution.
- Allow for extra space in front of your truck. The temptation to step on the gas is real, but please leave extra room in front of your truck. This cushion of space will help protect you and will keep you out of unnecessary danger. You’ll also have more time and space to react to any hazards. The more space you have to maneuver, the safer you’ll be in the event of a sudden change in road conditions or an unexpected emergency.
- Use your GPS. This technology makes things easier for you by showing you exactly which exits to take, how close you are to an exit, as well as any changes in traffic conditions.
- Watch your speed. We cannot stress this enough. Commercial trucks are slower to react and need much more space to maneuver. Make sure you take turns and ramps nice and slow. Don’t worry about any cars behind you pressuring you to move faster. Safety is more important.
- Don’t change lanes so often. Your truck has huge blind spots. Changing lanes is not your truck’s best friend. Let other drivers change lanes as much as they want, but you should choose a lane and stay there. Lane changes are necessary, but do so carefully. Be mindful of your truck’s blind spots and use your mirrors.
- Take care of yourself and your truck. The pressure to meet a deadline is real, but you need to stop and take breaks as necessary. Your well-being is important. It’s a good idea to get some air, move your legs, and get some food. Also, your truck could use some love, too. Make sure your load is properly secured and remember to check your tires and fluids.
Contact Us to Find Out How We Can Help
If you have sustained injuries as a result of a truck accident, our expert truck accident attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you recover compensation for the losses you have suffered, including medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.