Burn Injury Treatments in California
What Types of Treatment Are Available for Burn Injury Victims?
There are various ways to treat a burn. Each one is handled based on the level of severity. Generally, minor burns can be treated in the comfort of your own home and can be healed within a week or two.
Moderate to severe burns should be checked by a medical professional to determine how serious the injury is. The doctor will offer you a treatment plan to help with the recovery process.
Below, we will go more into detail about treatment plans that are provided to patients who are suffering from a burn.
If you were a victim of a burn injury and would like to pursue legal actions against the party at-fault for your injuries, our qualified burn injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers are available 24/7 to offer legal assistance.
If you are experiencing minor burn injuries, you may treat them at home. Home remedies include:
- Bandages. It would be ideal to cover the burn with a bandage or gauze, depending on its size. Do not apply any fluffy cotton. Make sure it is wrapped loosely around the injured area. This will protect you from experiencing infections and may reduce pain.
- Pain reliever. Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol may be used as a way to relieve any pain you are experiencing.
- Cool it down. Make sure you are applying cool water on your wound. Avoid placing ice over it because it will result in more damage to your tissue.
- Apply lotion or ointment onto the wound. Once you finish cooling your burn injury, you should apply lotion or ointment onto it. Aloe vera is commonly used for burns since it helps your skin heal by preventing it from drying. It may also give you pain relief.
Regardless of how serious your burn injury is, it is very important to keep your skin constantly moisturized to avoid severe drying and substantial pain.
Once you receive your first aid for a major burn, you may use other medications or products to help with the recovery process. This includes:
- Pain and anxiety medication. Based on the severity of the burn, you may have to use morphine to deal with its intense pain. Anti-anxiety medications may also help you remain calm while you are in the recovery stages.
- Creams and ointments. This will help prevent any infection from your burn injury. Common ointments used for this are Polysporin and Neosporin.
- IV. You may be required to get intravenous (IV) fluids to avoid organ failure or dehydration.
- Tetanus Shot. If you are suffering from a superficial partial-thickness, or deeper, you may need to get a tetanus shot.
Under serious circumstances, you may be required to undergo surgery. This includes:
- Plastic surgery. This could be used for two things. One is to reduce the appearance of the scarring that was caused by the burn. It may also be used to increase the flexibility of your joints.
- Help with breathing. If your face or neck was burned, you may have swelling around your throat area. For situations like this, the doctor will put a tube down your windpipe in order for oxygen to enter your lungs.
- Feeding tube. If you are suffering from severe burns and are malnourished, it is important for you to get nutritional support. A feeding tube will be inserted through your nose, which will then make its way down to your stomach.
- Skin graft. This procedure is done to replace your scar tissues with your own healthy skin. Skin grafts are normally done for victims who are suffering from deep burns. Deceased donors or pigs may be used for this surgery.
If you have suffered a burn that covers a large portion of your body, especially if it is covering any of your joints, it is required for you to go through physical therapy exercises. Stretching the skin will help your joints maintain flexibility.
Additional exercises will help improve the strength of your muscles. Occupational therapy is known for helping burn victims with their injuries. This type of therapy is designed for you to develop, recover, enhance, and control skills that are needed for day-to-day activities.
If you sustained injuries as a result of a burn accident, our expert team of burn injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you recover compensation for damages you have suffered. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.