Brain Injury Prevention Tips
A Look Into Brain Injuries and How to Prevent One From Happening
Head trauma ranges from minor, moderate, and severe. For minor injuries, it typically does not require any type of special medical attention. However, these injuries can create constant chronic symptoms, such as headaches or lack of concentration.
If an individual is dealing with this type of problem, they are recommended to step away from everyday activities and focus on resting. Any other additional symptoms that continue to recur, such as nausea or unsteadiness, should be brought to the attention of a medical expert.
If you believe that your symptoms have become intense after suffering a minor injury, you need to call 911 or your local emergency number. Doctors will determine if you are suffering from something that is more moderate or severe.
Furthermore, if your brain injury was caused by someone else, you may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit against them for damages. At West Coast Trial Lawyers, our skilled brain injury attorneys are readily available to offer legal assistance. We will review your case to determine what necessary steps are needed to take in order to get you the compensation you deserve.
When it comes to a concussion, there are a variety of symptoms an individual may experience. These include:
- Blurry vision,
- Passing out,
- Lack of balance,
- Irregular pupil sizes,
- Bleeding within the scalp,
- Bleeding under the scalp, or
- Minor sensitivity.
- Mood swings,
- Lack of concentration,
- Slurred speech,
- Post-traumatic amnesia, or
- Incapability to relax.
If you are suffering from a concussion, you must:
- Avoid everyday activities for a while and focus on resting. Too much activity after a concussion will only worsen it.
- Apply ice by wrapping it in a washcloth and placing it on the area where you feel pain. Keep the area iced for 20 to 30 minutes and repeat this process every 2 to 4 hours. This will help decrease the size of the swelling or bruise.
- Avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen. This will increase the chances of bleeding risks. Take mild pain relievers like Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol.
- Do not do any sports-related activities until your symptoms have fully gone away.
To prevent yourself from concussion risks, you must:
- Wear a seat belt while driving. In case of a vehicle collision, a seat belt will help lessen your chances of falling out of the vehicle and experiencing a forceful impact to the head.
- Wear a helmet to protect yourself from serious impact. Sporting activities that could cause a concussion include:
- Horseback riding, or
- Ice hockey.
- Install handrails on stairways to prevent falls. This will help you hold onto something to save yourself from falling down the stairs.
- Place safety gates on the top and bottom of the stairs. This will protect children from falling down the stairs or walking up or down the stairs without adult supervision.
- Monitor the lighting in your home. Make sure the lighting is not dim. Lack of proper lighting may affect your vision, thus making it difficult to clearly see where you are going.
- Install safety guards by the windows. This will prevent children from accessing the windows and falling out.
If you or a loved one were the victim of brain injury due to negligent acts committed by another individual, our skilled brain injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you recover compensation for the losses you have suffered, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation at our firm. No fees are paid until your case has been settled. Reach out to our 24/7 legal team by calling 213-927-3700 or filling out our quick contact form.
They know what they're doing, very well. Not only did I not make a single phone call from the day I hired them, but I also received calls from their case managers and paralegals who want to make sure my treatment was going well. They whole team took care of me. Thank you WCTL for taking full responsibility of my case and getting me an amazing settlement.
I can say with confidence that this team is the best in the business. . . . Dean took the time to really listen and hear me out. He assured me that he was going to move mountains because he believed in me, and he ended up doing just that. I’ve never met a more focused and passionate attorney in my life. If you’re looking for a firm that treats its clients with the utmost respect and care, calling WCTL is a no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about working with them again in the future.