Uber Accident Passengers: 7 Steps to Insurance Compensation
How to File a Successful Insurance Claim
Ridesharing apps, such as Uber and Lyft, have become a convenient way for people to travel. Due to its popularity, the concept of ridesharing has become widely used by millions of people in the United States. However, users of these ridesharing services have been involved in serious accidents that, unfortunately, led to their deaths.
Uber released a report, from 2017 to 2018, that goes over the total amount of accidents and deaths linked to the company. Uber claimed that they were providing 3.1 million trips per day. Within these trips, there were a total of 97 fatal accidents and 107 deaths that were reported in the Uber app. Those involved in these deadly crashes were:
- Uber drivers (21 percent)
- Riders (21 percent)
- Pedestrians (30 percent)
The remaining others who were involved in these accidents were third parties. About 90 percent of these fatal collisions took place in urban areas.
After learning these statistics, it’s important to be aware of what actions you should take after getting into an accident while using ridesharing services. Below, our experienced personal injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers have created a list of what you should do after an Uber or Lyft accident.
Steps to Take After an Uber or Lyft Accident
If you’re involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, here are 7 steps you should follow:
- Check on others. If possible, try to check on those who were involved in the accident. Any damages or injuries should be reported to the police.
- Call 911. As previously stated, if you notice any damages or individuals who are injured, you should call the police. They will arrive at the scene of the accident and create an official police report. Paramedics may also be present to provide immediate medical attention to those who need it.
- Exchange contact and insurance information. Speak to the other party(ies) involved in the collision. Make sure you obtain their contact information, insurance information, and driver’s license(s).
- Acquire witness information. If you notice any witnesses around, you should ask for their consent to have them involved in your case by getting their name(s) and contact information.
- Gather evidence. Take photos or video footage of injuries, damages, and the location of where the accident took place. You should also document what happened, before, during, and after the impact.
- Do not speak to any parties involved in the accident. Do not speak to any adjusters and do not contact Uber or Lyft. Any information you discuss with another party, such as the insurance or ridesharing company, can negatively affect your claim.
- Reach out to an experienced Uber or Lyft accident attorney. Don’t allow Uber, Lyft, or any insurance company to handle your claim. They will often try to get you to settle for less than what you deserve. Instead, get in touch with a Los Angeles Uber or Lyft accident attorney. They will help you file a claim, negotiate with the other parties involved in the accident, and get you the compensation you deserve.
West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help
If you have sustained injuries as a result of another driver’s carelessness, you have the right to hold that driver responsible. An Uber or Lyft accident attorney at West Coast Trial Lawyers can help you recover compensation for the losses you have suffered including medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Call us today at (213) 927-3700 or email [email protected] to schedule a free consultation with our knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate legal team.