Woodland Hills Ridesharing Accident Lawyer
Call A Woodland Hills Uber and Lyft Accident Attorney Today
Uber and Lyft have become popular ridesharing companies across cities in California, including Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills residents may use their services to conveniently get to their destination with a given estimation of when they will arrive. These apps are more popularly used by those who plan to go out for a drink in order to prevent themselves from drinking and driving.
Even though there are many benefits involved with using Uber or Lyft, there are negative factors as well. There are passengers that have a fear of requesting a negligent driver. Based on several Uber and Lyft accident reports that have been released over the past few years, passengers worry that they may be next. With a lack of control over how the driver is operating the car, passengers feel defenseless when it comes to preventing a potential accident. When it comes to the drivers, they may get concerned about the type of passenger they will be driving. There have been mentions of rude passengers acting recklessly, which makes it difficult for the drivers to concentrate on the road.
Those who are victims of an Uber or Lyft accident should reach out to our Woodland Hills personal injury attorney as soon as possible. We will help you get the maximum financial and emotional compensation you deserve for your losses. This includes: medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, property damage, and pain and suffering. West Coast Trial Lawyers has acquired over $1 billion in settlements and judgments for our clients. Due to our high success in the legal field, we have been acknowledged as one of the top personal injury law firms in Woodland Hills.
There are no financial risks involved in our services. You will not be charged until your case has been won or settled. If you would like to set up a free, no-obligation consultation at our Woodland Hills personal injury law firm, please contact us by calling (818) 839-8900 or emailing [email protected]Should I Get Rideshare Insurance?
It is ideal to have rideshare insurance in case your personal car insurance does not cover an accident you are involved in during work hours. It is important to notify your auto insurer that you are using your car for work. Choosing not to inform them about this will potentially result in your policy getting canceled. If you do have Uber or Lyft insurance, then you might be unaware of a specific time period of when you will not receive coverage.
Your Uber insurance coverage is dependent during the time of the accident. In some circumstances, while you are waiting for a rider’s request, your coverage may have basic liability coverage. This covers:
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
- $50,000 for injury per person
- $100,000 for injury per accident
There are many insurers that offer insurance options. These can increase your personal policy and cover any ridesharing problems. They are implemented in your new policy under “add on”, which means that there will be no need to have a new, separate policy.Rideshare Periods There are four ridesharing periods. Each of them have different coverages available.
- Period 0. If your app is not being used and you are driving your car for personal reasons, your personal insurance policy will still cover you.
- Period 1. This is initiated when your app is on and you are waiting for a ride request. Within this period, you will not be covered by your personal insurance. However, you will be protected by Uber and Lyft liability coverage.
- Period 2. Once you have accepted a ride and are making your way to the passenger, you will receive full coverage by your rideshare company. This includes:
- Comprehensive and collision insurance for the cash value of your car
- Comprehensive and collision deductible for $1,000
- Liability insurance for $1 million per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance for $1 million
- Period 3. This activates while your passengers are in the vehicle. You will be insured during this ride. This insurance policy is similar to what Period 2 covers.
- Comprehensive and collision insurance for the cash value of your car.
- Comprehensive and collision deductible for $1,000.
- Liability insurance for $1 million per accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance for $1 million.
Uber identifies their drivers as independent contractors. This will free the company of enforcing wages, unemployment insurance, health care, overtime, meal breaks, rest breaks, and workers compensation. Uber is allowed to legally end contracts regardless of what the reason may be. California does have laws that protect employees from mistreatment, however it does not apply to independent contractors.
Uber drivers are not content with this concept, which is why they have protested against it. The state has drafted an AB5 bill to address this problem, but it will make it difficult for companies to hire drivers. So far, the bill has been approved by the state Assembly. The California Senate will begin voting on the proposal near the end of summer of 2020.Protecting the Uber Passenger
With Uber becoming a popular choice of transportation, California has established laws to protect its citizens from being put in harm's way. For example:
- According to the California Public Utilities Commission Decision D.17-11-010 and Public Utilities Code 5445.2, drivers are expected to pass an annual background check.
- Vehicles must be inspected annually or every 50,000 miles.
- Uber drivers must place an Uber decal on the right side of the windshield, which is the passenger’s side.
- Riders need to be of legal age. Drivers are not allowed to transport passengers if they are younger than 18 years old.
The amount of money you will acquire from an Uber settlement may vary depending on the circumstances. An example could be a pedestrian getting hit by an Uber driver. The settlement will be affected by various factors such as the time of day, lighting, and the color of your clothing. It would be best to hire a skilled Woodland Hills personal injury attorney to help you with this case.Getting A Rideshare Lawyer
It is important to reach out to a rideshare attorney immediately after an accident. Uber has settled various claims through their Uber settlement policy, but you may not recover the amount of damages you deserve if you do not have legal representation on your case.Contact Us
If you have sustained injuries in the city of Woodland Hills as a result of an Uber and Lyft accident, West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you get the justice you deserve. If you are interested in using our services, contact us today by calling (818) 839-8900 or email [email protected] to schedule a free consultation with our experienced, caring, and compassionate legal team.