Here’s What You Need to Do After a Truck Accident
When a truck collides with a car or motorcycle, the outcome can be deadly. Each year, thousands of motorists, bicyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians are seriously injured or killed in accidents involving 18-wheelers and other large trucks. These accidents are not only catastrophic, but are also very complex from a legal standpoint because there are typically multiple parties who can be held liable for injuries and deaths.
For instance, depending on the circumstances of the crash, the truck driver, trucking company, leasing company, and/or the manufacturer of the truck may be to blame for the accident. Because these cases are so complicated, it is important for truck accident victims to take the right steps to ensure that they receive fair compensation for their losses.
At West Coast Trial Lawyers, our qualified Los Angeles truck accident attorneys are available 24/7 to offer legal assistance. We will review your case to determine what necessary steps should be taken to get you a fair settlement offer. To schedule a free consultation at our Los Angeles personal injury law firm, please contact us by calling (213) 927-3700 or filling out our quick contact form.
8 Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
[INSERT INFOGRAPHIC HERE] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeR2u9pIchLi4d4Gi5SMtnAgUMz1yzzY/view?usp=sharing
First and foremost, after a truck accident, you have rights. You have the right to speak with an attorney, and you have the right to seek financial compensation from the party (or parties) responsible for your losses. You have the right to decide when (and if) to settle your case. If you do not receive a fair settlement offer, you have the right to present your case to a jury who will decide whether or not you are entitled to compensation.
Below, we have created 8 steps that should be taken in order to successfully receive compensation for injuries or damages caused by a truck accident.
- Make sure everyone is okay. When a truck accident occurs, the first thing you need to do is to check on all parties involved to make sure they are okay. If you suspect that anyone may be injured, call 911 immediately.
- Call the police. Even if you think there are no injuries or that the damages are minimal, it is very important to contact the police and ask them to make a report of the accident. The accident report is critical evidence that your attorney will need to support your claim.
- Gather contact and insurance information. Make sure that you collect the names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information from everyone who is involved in the crash. You should also write down the make, model, and year of all vehicles.
- Take pictures. If you have access to a cell phone or camera, it is a good idea to take pictures of all vehicles involved in the accident, along with the location of where the incident took place. You should also make note of road and weather conditions.
- Watch what you say. It is very important to watch what you say when a truck accident occurs. You should never make any open assumptions as to who may be at-fault for the accident.
- Talk with witnesses. If you notice any witnesses, you should ask for their consent to acquire their names and contact information. Witness testimonies can play a significant factor in strengthening your claim.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you think that your injuries are minor or non-existent, you should still get checked out by a physician. Oftentimes, truck accident victims suffer serious injuries that are not readily apparent or surface days or even weeks after the crash.
- Call a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer. Immediately after a truck accident occurs, trucking companies and insurance carriers are notorious for sending representatives to the scene to gather evidence and conduct their own analysis of the crash so they can limit their liability. You should never speak with any of these representatives until you have consulted with a lawyer experienced in handling truck accident cases. While these companies may try to trick you into believing that they are going to take care of you, you need to have a qualified lawyer at your side who will protect and assert your rights at every stage of the process.
West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help
If you have sustained injuries as a result of a truck accident, our expert Los Angeles truck accident attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you recover compensation for the losses you have suffered, including medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact us today by calling (213) 927-3700 or filling out our quick contact form to schedule a free consultation with our experienced, caring, and compassionate legal team.