Newport Beach Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
Hire a Newport Beach Attorney to Settle Your Rideshare Case Today
Uber and Lyft are known as two of the most popular rideshare services in the United States. People favor the idea of having someone drive them to their destination without having the hassle to do it themselves. Furthermore, those who are planning to go out for a drink can rely on Uber or Lyft drivers to safely take them home without having the need to drive while under the influence.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about one-third of all fatal traffic accidents in the United States involve drunk drivers. Once rideshare programs kicked in, alcohol-related traffic fatalities were reduced by 6.1 percent and total traffic fatalities by 4 percent.
Although most Uber and Lyft drivers are all about safety, there are others who choose to ignore rules and regulations established by both rideshare companies. According to a survey of 553 adults across the United States who have used either Uber or Lyft, DriversEd.com’s Reckless Ridesharing Report found that:
- About 35 percent of respondents admitted that they felt as if their rideshare driver was committing negligent actions while on the road.
- 29 percent have said that they saw their rideshare driver reading or sending text messages on their phone while on the road.
- 16 percent have said that they noticed their rideshare driver using social media while on the road.
- 15 percent have confessed that their rideshare driver exhibited acts of road rage.
- 13 percent have said that the driver had spoken to them in a disrespectful or inappropriate manner.
- 12 percent of participants mentioned that their rideshare driver appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- 8 percent have said that they have seen their rideshare driver watching a video while on the road.
If you were involved in a rideshare accident with a negligent Uber or Lyft driver, you will be entitled to file a personal injury claim against them. At West Coast Trial Lawyers, our Newport Beach Uber and Lyft accident attorneys have over 60 years of collective legal experience in handling personal injury cases. With our track record of recovering more than $1 billion in settlements for our clients, we are confident that we will deliver a good outcome to your case.
To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at our Newport Beach personal injury law firm, please contact our 24/7 legal team by calling (949) 822-9593 or emailing [email protected].
Uber vs Lyft: What’s the Difference?
Uber and Lyft are rideshare services that offer convenience for those that would prefer to have a person drive them around rather than themselves. Uber is widely available and has a global presence, while Lyft is mostly found in major cities and is more focused on offering services in North America.
Both rideshare services have gained a lot of popularity with customers and drivers. Below, we will discuss requirements needed to become a rideshare driver, rideshare services that cater to different audiences, and insurance policies that Uber and Lyft offer to their drivers.
Requirements for Drivers and Their Vehicles
Uber and Lyft have different standard requirements that a driver must meet in order to work as a rideshare driver. Below, we have created a table of these requirements for both rideshare companies.
|Uber Driver Requirements||Lyft Driver Requirements|
|The driver must be 21 years or older.||The driver must be 21 years or older.|
|The driver must have 1 year minimum driving experience or 3 year minimum driving experience if younger than 25 years old.||The driver must have 1 year minimum driving experience.|
|The driver must have a valid California driver’s license.||The driver must have a valid California driver’s license.|
|The driver must pass a driver’s screening. A social security number will be required.||The driver must pass a driver’s screening. A social security number will be required.|
|The driver must have access to a smartphone in order to download the Uber app to start their shift.||The driver must have access to a smartphone in order to download the Lyft app to start their shift.|
|The driver must have a profile photo of their face.||The driver must have a profile photo of their face.|
|The driver must have proof of vehicle inspection.||The driver must have proof of vehicle inspection.|
|The driver’s vehicle must:
||The driver’s vehicle must:
Types of Services
Uber and Lyft provide various types of services that cater to the needs of different demographics. Below, we have listed services both rideshare companies offer to their customers.
|Uber Services||Lyft Services|
|Uber Green: Offers lower-emissions rides.||Lyft Rentals: You will be given the option of choosing the exact make and model of your rental car before picking it up.|
|Uber Rent: Allows you to rent a vehicle.||Lyft Bikes and Scooters: You can rent a bike or scooter through the Lyft app.|
|Uber Reserve: Permits you to reserve a ride 2 hours in advance.||Lyft Wait and Save: The most affordable lyft ride. Wait longer for your Lyft driver to arrive and you will save more money.|
|UberX: An affordable option to travel. This service accommodates up to 4 people.||Lyft: A standard vehicle that carries up to 3 passengers.|
|UberX Saver: You can save more money by waiting longer for your Uber driver to pick you up.||Lyft Priority Pickup: Offers a faster pickup at a higher price.|
|Uber Pool: Gives you the option to share a ride with other people for a more affordable price.||Lyft Preferred Mode: A standard ride for up to 3 passengers. You can let your driver know if you prefer to have a quiet ride or your desired vehicle temperature.|
|Uber Taxi: Offers local taxi cabs as an option for traveling purposes.||Lyft XL: Provides a large vehicle that can seat up to 5 passengers.|
|Uber Intercity: Covers a one-way trip from one city to another.||Lyft Lux: A luxury service that has vehicles with a black exterior. This service seats up to 4 passengers.|
|Uber Bikes: Provides on-demand electric bicycles that will make it convenient for you to travel to your destination at an affordable price.||Lyft Express Drive: A program that offers rental cars that are managed through affiliated partners, which include Flexdrive and Hertz.|
|Uber Scooters: Offers affordable Lime electric scooters that can be accessed through the Uber app.|
|Auto: Whenever you want, Uber Auto will arrive at the front of your doorstep with a tap of a button.|
|Moto: Provides affordable and convenient motorcycle trips.|
|UberXL: Offers affordable rides for groups up to 6 people.|
|Uber Comfort: Provides passengers with newer and roomy cars.|
|Uber Black: Passengers are matched with top-rated drivers who drive in luxury vehicles for a high price.|
|Uber Black SUV: Offers luxury services that can seat up to 6 people for a high price.|
|Uber WAV: Provides ride assistance to elders and for those who have a disability.|
|Uber Eats: Food delivery service that offers convenience for those who do not want to pick up food themselves.|
|Offline or the App Is Off: The driver’s personal auto insurance will apply.||Offline or the App Is Off: The driver’s personal auto insurance will apply.|
|Available or Waiting for a Ride Request: The driver is online and waiting for a ride request. Uber insurance will cover for the accident if your personal auto insurance does not apply. Coverage includes $50,000 for bodily injury per person, $100,000 for bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.||Available or Waiting for a Ride Request: The driver is online and waiting for a ride request. Lyft will cover if your personal insurance does not apply. Coverage includes $50,000 for bodily injury per person, $100,000 for bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.|
|On the Way to Pick Up or Drop Off Passengers: The driver is either on the way to pick up or drop off a passenger. If an accident occurs, Uber will offer $1,000,000 third-party liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and/or first-party injury insurance, and contingent comprehensive coverage.||On the Way to Pick Up or Drop Off Passengers: The driver is on the way to pick up or drop off a passenger. If an accident occurs, Lyft will provide $1,000,000 for third-party auto liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and/or first-party coverage, and contingent comprehensive coverage.|
What to Do After You Get Hit by a Rideshare Driver
If you were involved in an accident with a negligent rideshare driver, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim against them. In order to acquire fair compensation for your losses, you should consider doing the following after the accident:
- Check on others. If possible, make sure to check if the other parties involved in the accident are okay.
- Call the police, if necessary. If you notice any damages or injuries, contact the police immediately. They will arrive at the scene of the accident and conduct an official police report. Paramedics may also be present to perform medical care to those that need it.
- Exchange information. Make sure you acquire the rideshare driver’s information, such as their contact information, insurance information, license plate number, vehicle model, and driver’s license details.
- Acquire witness information. If you notice any witnesses nearby, you should ask for their consent to obtain their contact information. Witness testimonies can greatly support your claim.
- Gather evidence. You should take pictures and/or video footage of your injuries, damages, and the location of where the accident took place. Make sure to also ask the police for a copy of the official police report. Lastly, you should document your perspective of the accident by jotting it down in a journal or diary. Do not forget to include the date and time of when the event took place in your entry.
- Be careful with what you say to others. Do not share information with any adjusters or the rideshare company the driver was working under. Anything you say can be used against you and will negatively impact your claim.
- Reach out to an experienced Newport Beach Uber and Lyft accident attorney. An Uber and Lyft accident attorney will do all of the talking with the insurance companies and parties involved in the accident. They will also strengthen your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help
If you were injured in an Uber or Lyft accident due to the negligence of another individual, West Coast Trial Lawyers has experienced Newport Beach Uber and Lyft accident attorneys that will help you get the justice you deserve.