When millions of drivers take to the road each day, the likelihood of an accident is extremely probable. According to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, traffic fatalities are a leading cause of death, especially among young adults. This is mainly due to inexperienced drivers, intoxicated drivers, and dangerous road hazards. According to the same study, 33,000 individuals died in a motor vehicle accident in 2014, leaving another 2.3 million suffering from personal injuries.
Uber has suggested on more than one occasion that their rideshare service has made roads safer. Below is a comprehensive outlook on how Uber has affected the roads.
- DUI accidents have decreased between 15-62% per year.
- 16% reduction in traffic fatalities in metropolitan areas.
- Traffic jams and road congestion has increased due to Uber, as drivers spend 40-60% of their time simply trying to find their riders.
- Only 14% of Uber drivers are women.
- Uber received $11.3 billion dollars in revenue in 2018.
- An average Uber driver income is $364 dollars a month.
- In 2018, Uber is estimated to be worth $72 billion dollars.
- Average hourly rate for drivers is $8.55.
- 93 million monthly active users.
- 15 million active UberEats users.
- 15 million Uber trips per day.
- 54% of Uber drivers are 51 years old or older.
- 65,000 companies use Uber for business.