Scooters have in fact been blowing up all over California, and especially Los Angeles. Scooters are very popular throughout downtown Los Angeles and Santa Monica for people who see them as a fun and environmentally sound solution to getting around town.
However, what does the law have to say? The California state assembly passed a 2018 bill to add clarification regarding the legality of scooter usage. It also offers individual cities the opportunity to pass laws that make sense for their communities. According to California law, scooters are legal. There are, however, a few restrictions:
- Scooter riders are required to have a learner’s permit or a valid driver’s license
- Scooter riders are required to wear a helmet.
- Scooter riders are not allowed to ride at speeds over 15 mph.
- Scooter riders are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk.
- Scooter riders cannot exceed 25 mph unless they are in a bike lane.
As mentioned, individual cities are allowed to set their own regulations. It is best to consult with an experienced scooter if you are unsure.