Motorcycle Accident Road Rash Injury
How to Treat and Recover From Motorcycle Road Rash
Road rash is a burn or skin abrasion that occurs when your skin is being dragged against something. Motorcyclists may endure road rash depending on the impact they experience during a collision along with what type of clothing they are wearing.
It is always encouraged for motorcyclists to wear safety gear to prevent serious injuries, such as road rash, brain injuries, and face injuries. Lack of protection will increase the chances of a motorcyclist suffering from severe injuries, and even death.
Generally, road rash can be treated in the comfort of your own home. You are expected to monitor the recovery process of your injury to see if there are any signs of serious infections or damage done to your body.
Here are some tips on how to treat your injury:
- Clean your hands before applying water onto the road rash. It is important for you to wash your hands prior to coming into contact with an open wound. Bacteria must be removed or else it could lead to an infection. Once that step is completed, you may proceed to wash your road rash. Make sure not to use a scrub when doing so because it will aggravate the wound. Use a soft cloth and dampen it with water. Gently apply it to the injury and gradually clean it.
- Take out noticeable debris. Remove any visible pieces of grass, pebbles, or dirt that are on your injury. This will also help with preventing any potential infection from happening.
- Use antibiotic ointment. Neosporin is a popularly used ointment that has the effect of removing bacteria that may get into contact with the injury. Make sure to apply the ointment gently to not aggravate or damage your road rash.
- Place something over the road rash. It is recommended that you put a gauze or bandage over the injury to prevent bacteria from entering.
- Replace the gauze or bandage every day or so. If your gauze or bandage is dirty, wet, or slowly coming off, you should remove it and apply a new one.
- Monitor the injury for potential infections. Regularly check to see if your road rash is free of infections.
Generally, small wounds should take a few weeks to heal if you are taking care of it properly. A moderate one may take longer. Severe injuries require extensive care from both you and your doctor.
When to Contact a Medical Expert
If your ointment is not helping you with your recovery process and you are still experiencing pain and redness, you should seek help from a medical expert. Severe conditions that require immediate medical attention include:
- Puss emerging from the injury.
- Constant bleeding.
- Visibly noticeable bone.
- Large pieces of debris in the road rash.
- Wound is covering a large portion of the body.
Accidents happen. If you were injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Below is a brief explanation of damages. Damages are a type of monetary award that is determined by a court of law to help compensate an aggrieved individual for any losses or injuries sustained as a result of someone’s negligence.
Economic damages are intended to compensate a plaintiff for losses that a dollar amount can readily be attached to. Economic damages are calculated by determining the amount of out-of-pocket losses an aggrieved individual has or will expect to incur as a result of their injuries.
A few examples of economic losses include:
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
Non-economic damages are essentially intended to cover losses that are thought of as subjective and will not necessarily cover out-of-pocket losses. Non-economic damages may include compensation for:
- Emotional Distress
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
The third type of damages a California court may award are known as punitive damages. Punitive damages are intended as punishment and are only awarded when a defendant’s behavior is especially harmful. Punitive damages are relatively rare and in fact were only incorporated in 5 percent of all verdicts.
Furthermore, there is no real set standard for calculating and awarding punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded at the court’s discretion and will vary depending on the specific circumstances of a case.
Contact Us to Find Out How We Can Help
If you have sustained injuries in the city of Los Angeles as a result of a motorcycle accident, our experienced personal injury attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers will help you get the compensation you deserve for losses you have suffered, which includes medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call us today at (888) 341-9802 or email [email protected] to schedule a free consultation with our knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate legal team.