ClickCease Moving a Car To California - Personal Injury Lawyer Los Angeles CA

Ranked #1

Personal Injury Firm

Rules For Moving Your Car Into Los Angeles

Ask A Car Accident Attorney For Car Insurance Advice

Whether you’re chasing a career or plan to take it easy on the relaxing trails of Griffith Park, California has always been a desirable place to live. According to the American Community Survey (ACS) from 2007 to 2016, an estimated 5 million people moved to California from other states. When combined with the 39.56 million already living here and the thousands that drive to work everyday, the state of California has established a strict set of guidelines to regulate commuter and pedestrian safety.

If you’re moving to Los Angeles and plan on taking your car, you may have questions about how you can legally operate your vehicle on the road. For all inquiries about car law and registration always feel free to reach out to the experienced attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers. As a visitor you do not need a California driver’s license to drive in the Sunshine state. All that is required is a valid license from your home state. When you become a resident, the law mandates that you must acquire a California driver’s license within 10 days. To become a resident, you must visit a DMV office in person and present proof of residency along with necessary identification. To obtain a California driver’s license, you need to:

  1. Visit a DMV Office and file the necessary paperwork.
  2. Present a valid social security number and identification document that displays your full legal name.
  3. Produce proof of residency
    • Rental / lease agreement
    • Mortgage bill
    • Home utility bill
    • School I.D.
    • Medical document
    • Employment document
    • Change of address confirmation
  4. Afford the nonrefundable application fee
  5. File a fingerprint scan
  6. Take a vision test
  7. Take a photograph
  8. Pass the California Driver License Knowledge Test

New Vehicle Registration

Avoid unnecessary state fees by registering your car within 20 days. To register the vehicle you must complete the next steps:

  1. File an application for Title or Registration
  2. Provide the most recent registration certificate or renewal notice
  3. Undergo a vehicle inspection
  4. Smog certification, if necessary
  5. Weight certification, if necessary

Do I Need Car Insurance?

It is required by California law for every vehicle on the road -- and for parked cars, as well -- to have at least the minimum car insurance. Proof of car insurance or “financial responsibility” is required in the vehicle at all times. Insurance companies also provide electronic reports to the DMV which verify your current policies.
Minimum Liability Insurance Requirements are:

  • $15,000 for injury or death of a single person
  • $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
  • $5,000 for property damage

Types of Car Insurance / Financial Responsibility

  • Your choice of motor vehicle liability insurance
  • $30,500 cash security paid to the DMV
  • DMV-issued self-insurance certificate
  • $30,500 surety bond from a licensed California business

Penalties For Unregistered or Suspended Registrations
If you drive an unregistered vehicle or vehicle with a suspended registration, you are subject to:
    A citation / subpoena
  • Vehicle impoundment
  • Personal liability damages

Damages Explained

Compensatory damages are intended to compensate a plaintiff for his or her losses after a personal injury case. In general, a plaintiff must prove he or she was harmed or injured in order to be entitled to damages. If an individual did not sustain any injuries, there will typically be no need for any damages.
Broadly speaking, compensatory damages can be divided in either of the two following categories:

  • Economic: this includes tangible losses such as property damage
  • Non-Economic: this includes intangible losses, such as emotional distress.

There are also punitive damages, which are separate from compensatory damages. Punitive damages may be awarded on top of the normal compensatory damages an aggrieved individual may be entitled to and are intended to punish a wrongdoer for their negligent or malicious behavior.
Furthermore, there is no real set standard for calculating and awarding punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded at the court’s discretion and will vary depending on the specific circumstances of a case.

West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help

West Coast Trial Lawyers will not charge you for a consultation. Our clients are represented on a contingency fee basis. If we do not win, you owe us nothing. There is no financial risk to prevent you from reaching out. Our qualified personal injury lawyers are highly-trained and have extensive experience with cases that are similar to yours. We are committed to helping you resolve your legal issues as quickly as possible while receiving the best results.

If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, reach out to our legal team 24 hours a day by calling us at (213) 927-3700 or emailing [email protected].


If you have been injured in an accident, you can count on the legal team at West Coast Trial Lawyers to fight for your rights every step of the way. Contact us today to schedule your free case evaluation with a personal injury attorney.
Free Consultations /
No Fees Until We Win


Buy now