Bike Accident Injury Liability
Who Is At-Fault In A Bicycle Accident for Causing Injury?
Bicycle accidents that involve vehicles may cause the bicyclist to endure serious damages. Considering a bicycle does not offer much protection, accidents can result in critical injuries, such as brain and spinal cord injuries. Fatal collisions may also occur.
People often ask how an at-fault party is determined in a bicycle accident. Ultimately, either motorists or bicyclists can be held liable in a bicycle accident, depending on who failed to follow the rules of the road. Here are some facts that one should consider when determine who is at-fault in a bike crash:
Determining the Right-of-Way: A traffic light will indicate who has the right-of-way. If there is a stop sign, whoever arrived at the stop sign first has the right-of-way. Lastly, if the motorist and bicyclist arrived at the stop sign at the same time, the person on the right has the right-of-way.
Failing to Signal: If either the motorist or bicyclist failed to signal, he or she may be held liable in a bicycle accident.
Failing to Use the Required Lighting at Night: By law, both motorists and bicyclists must use required lighting while driving or riding at night to avoid an accident.
Bicycle Lane: Bike lanes are strictly meant for bicyclists, therefore, vehicles that are driving in or obstructing a bike lane may be held liable.
West Coast Trial Lawyers Is Here to Help
There are many safety precautions that both bicyclists and vehicles should practice. It is always best to remain vigilant no matter what; however, if you have been involved in a bicycle accident due to the fault of another, do not hesitate to contact our experienced bicycle accident attorneys at West Coast Trial Lawyers for a free, no-obligation consultation by calling (213) 927-3700 or emailing [email protected].
Read More About Bike Accidents
Our excellent team of bike accident attorneys have created several other resources for you to read through. Feel free to browse these topics and read the ones you would like to learn about more.
- How To Avoid Bicycle Accidents
- Most Dangerous Places To Ride A Bike In Los Angeles, CA
- The Best 4 Bike Paths In Los Angeles
- What If I’m Injured While Using A Bike Share?
- Bike Sharing History
- Benefits Of Bike Sharing
- Bicycle Safety Checklist
- Bike On Bike Accidents
- Types Of Bikes / Illegal Bikes In California
- Can I Ride My Bike On The Sidewalk In Los Angeles?
- Crucial Steps to Take After a Bike Accident
- Bicycle Accident Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents With an Uninsured Driver
- Who Is At Fault in a Bicycle Accident?
- Helmet Laws and How They Affect Your Insurance Claim
- Bike Riding in LA
- Most Common Bike Accident Injuries
- California Bike Accident Statistics
- Bicycle Accident Insurance
- Bike Hand Signals
- How Bike Sharing is Safer Than Riding Your Own Bike
- What If I’m Injured While Using a Bike Share?
- Bike Accident Compensation
- Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents
- Cyclist Death in Los Angeles