15-Month-Old Wayne Nearly Died In Accident After Being Bitten By Rattlesnake In Cholla Heights Child Development Center In San Diego
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA (September 25, 2018) – A 15-month-old toddler identified by his parents as Wayne nearly died after he was bitten by a rattlesnake at a daycare center in San Diego.
The rattlesnake bite occurred on Wednesday in the Chollas Heights portion of San diego. Wayne was transported to the Randy Children’s hospital in order to receive treatment following the rattlesnake bite accident.
Doctors are saying that Wayne is lucky to be alive. Rattlesnake bites tend to affect younger children much more seriously than full grown adults. It seems as though the rattlesnake that bit the toddler may have been just a baby.
The snake bite caused Wayne’s hand to swell to four times its original size. Investigators are saying that the bite happened at the fenced play area of Cholla Heights Child Development Center.
Daycare officials say that they will now check the play area every morning in order to make sure there are no rattlesnakes.
The Center for Disease Control urges people who have been bitten by rattlesnakes to seek treatment immediately.
Rattlesnake Bite Symptoms and Treatment
It may not always be immediately obvious after you’ve been bitten by a rattlesnake. Among other things the snake might be buried in deep grass and you won’t even see it. According to Elaine K. Luo, MD, there are a number of symptoms that will follow after a rattlesnake bite:
numbness in the face or limbs
nausea or vomiting
If you’ve been bitten by a rattlesnake the first thing that you should do is to get away from the snake. Rattlesnakes can be aggressive and may strike a victim multiple times if they feel that they or their area is threatened. In fact, even the severed head of a rattlesnake can still bite and inject venom. The second thing that you should do is get medical assistance and call 911 if you’re able to.
Try as hard as possible to remain calm. An increased heart rate can pump more venom throughout your body. Allow the wound to bleed so that it can release venom. If possible, apply a clean bandage. Rattlesnake bites can cause serious injuries, especially for young children.
Liability In Rattlesnake Bite Accidents
Daycares and other businesses have a duty to protect children from harm and to monitor them closely in order to make sure that they are safe. When a daycare fails to do this they may be liable if a child is injured or killed while under their care. With respect to animal attacks or snake bites, there a number of situations in which a business might be found liable for an accident caused by a wild animal.
For example, if rattlesnakes on a property are a known risk and the business fails to take steps to protect guests, that’s a big problem. Companies should take reasonable measures to protect against animals or insects that are known to be dangerous and likely to come into contact with guests. An experienced Los Angeles premises liability attorney can take steps to preserve your rights and get you compensation after an injury.
Getting Help After A Rattlesnake Bite
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our good wishes to Wayne and his family as he continues to recover. The toddler is certainly very lucky, because this could have ended much worse. This daycare should show some accountability after what has happened and take steps to make sure that it doesn’t take place again.
Have you or someone that you care about been injured after a rattlesnake bite accident at a business? You may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys at West Coast Trial lawyers are committed to getting you the most compensation possible. We are trial attorneys who get results and we have an excellent track record in the courtroom. In fact, we are proud to have recovered over 1 billion dollars for our deserving clients. You owe us nothing if we don’t win your case. Call us today for a free consultation about how we can help you (888) 888-9285.
- DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER. Toddler almost dies after a RATTLESNAKE makes its way inside a San Diego daycare center and bites him. September 17, 2018
- Nolo Staff. What is Premises Liability? 2018
- Rob Harris. Club May Be Liable For Rattlesnake Bite. May 14, 2017
- Elaine K. Luo, MD. Rattlesnake Bite. July 26, 2017