Free Consultations / No Fees Until We Win  (213) 927-3700

VALLEJO: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident At Georgia Street Victorian Home Seriously Injured Two


Jan 12, 2019

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident At Home On Georgia Street In Vallejo Seriously Injured Two People; Malfunctioning Water Heater May Have Been To Blame

VALLEJO, CALIFORNIA (January 11, 2019) – Two people were seriously injured at a two story Victorian home after a carbon monoxide poisoning accident.

A 24-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman had to be removed from the house in serious condition. One of the victims managed to call 911 before falling unconscious. 

The victims were taken to the hospital because they were suffering from life-threatening respiratory distress. Two or three other people that lived in the six-unit Victorian house were also taken to the hospital as a precaution. 

Firefighters are saying that the water heater may have malfunctioned thereby causing the carbon monoxide leak. 

Premises Liability Claims In Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Property owners have a responsibility to maintain a reasonably safe environment for their tenants and face civil liability if they fail to do so. According to the Judicial Council of California Civil Jury Instructions, “A person who [owns/leases/occupies/controls] property is negligent if he or she fails to use reasonable care to keep the property in a reasonably safe condition. A person who [owns/leases/occupies/controls] property must use reasonable care to discover any unsafe conditions and to repair, replace, or give adequate warning of anything that could be reasonably expected to harm others.”

According to Cal. Health & Safety Code § 17926 to 17926.2 – Regulation of Buildings Used for Human Habitation, requires landlords to maintain a carbon monoxide detector in the unit. When a landlord is notified of an inoperable or malfunctioning device they must replace it. In addition to installing carbon monoxide detectors, landlords have a responsibility to make sure water heaters and other devices are functioning properly. Failure to do so may impose liability on the landlord. There may also be liability on a maintenance company if they did an inadequate job of repairing or installing a water heater. 

Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning accidents will have the ability to recover damages. This may include compensation for lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. A premises liability attorney can evaluate the specific facts of your case and let you know if you have a claim that can be pursued. An attorney can investigate your case and let you know if your landlord broke any laws. 

Getting Help After A Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident

We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our thoughts and prayers to the man and woman that were seriously injured at this residence. There needs to be immediate steps taken to repair or remove that water heater if it turns out to have caused this accident. Anyone that has information about the incident should reach out to the Vallejo police.

If you or someone that you love has been injured in a carbon monoxide accident you may have legal recourse. Acute exposure to carbon monoxide can have lasting negative health consequences including brain damage. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to help you in any way that we can. We are committed to making sure that our clients get justice after an accident. Whether you just have questions about your rights or need a free investigation into your case we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285. 

Call| Text | Chat
//chat code start //chat code end Text Us Call Us