Judith Yourman Long Beach: Judi Yourman, 61, Killed In Long Beach Car Accident After Loose Tire Hit Her Windshield On The 405 Freeway
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA (September 30, 2019) – A 61-year-old woman identified as Judi Yourman has tragically died and her passenger was seriously injured after her windshield was hit by a loose tire on the 405 Freeway.
California Highway Patrol are saying that the accident took place around 1:00 p.m near Wardlow Road. For reasons that remain under investigation a tire came off of a Dodge Ram and rolled into the south bound lanes.
The rogue tire hit the windshield of Judi Yourman’s BMW causing severe damage to the vehicle. Paramedics were called to the scene in order to help the victims.
Despite life-saving efforts Judi Yourman later died due to her injuries. Her male passenger was taken to the hospital in order to receive treatment.
An investigation into the car accident on the 405 Freeway in Long Beach remains ongoing at this time.
Liability In Car Accidents Involving Loose Tires
Tires coming off of a vehicle may seem like a freak occurrence, but this is actually fairly common. Here are just a few of the reasons that a tire may come off a vehicle mid ride:
- Broken Axles – If the axle breaks off of a vehicle this can cause the wheel and the whole tire assembly to come off with it.
- Hub Separations – If the bearing on a wheel fails this could cause the wheel to come loose.
- Fastening failures – The vast majority of accidents involving loose tires take place due to fastening failures. When lug nuts are not properly installed they can break loose over time.
There are a number of reasons why a fastening failure may take place. When mechanics do major body repairs, vehicle inspections and tire rotations they have to take a car’s tires off. If the mechanic puts the tire back on with a poorly calibrated wrench this could lead to it coming off down the road. Lug nuts may not be tightened correctly if the wrench was not reset with the proper torque. There are a number of different entities that could be at fault for a car accident involving a loose tire:
- Driver – If a driver fails to do adequate maintenance on their vehicles they could be held at fault for an accident. Drivers have a responsibility to perform all necessary maintenance on their vehicle.
- Mechanics – If a car maintenance facility failed to properly secure a tire during maintenance they could be held at fault for an accident.
- Car manufacturers – A number of accidents are caused by design defects with a car itself. Companies can be held legally responsible for vehicle defects that cause injury or death through product liability law.
It’s important that evidence is collected and maintained after an accident. A car accident attorney can investigate all of the facts of your case free of cost and get to the bottom of what happened. An attorney can make sure that evidence is being preserved and that your rights are being protected. There are, however, statute of limitations associated to being able to seek aid through civil claims so it is important to act quickly.
The family of any victim that died in an accident involving a loose tire may have legal recourse through California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. Damages in a civil claim can help cover lost wages, medical bills, emotional trauma, funeral expenses and pain and suffering. Potential claimants in a civil matter could include a victim’s spouse, children, parents and siblings.
Investigating A Long Beach Tire Accident
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our deepest condolences to the family of Judi Yourman. Any person that may have seen what happened should reach out to the California Highway Patrol as they continue their investigation. It is our sincere hope that measures are put in place to help prevent additional accidents like this.
If you or someone that you care about has been involved in a car accident there are a number of laws designed to protect your rights. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to answer any questions that you may have. We are committed to making sure that accident victims are aware of their rights so that they can make informed decisions. Whether you would like a free, independent investigation into what may have caused an accident or just have questions about the law we are here for you. You’re always welcome to reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285.