Free Consultations / No Fees Until We Win  (213) 927-3700

UPDATE: Andrea Olivas Killed In Motorcycle Accident With Fedex Truck In Rancho Cucamonga On The Intestate 210 Freeway By The I-15 Connector


Jul 10, 2019

Andrea Olivas Rancho Cucamonga: Andrea Olivas Killed In Motorcycle Accident With Rancho CucaMonga Fedex Truck On The Intestate 210 Freeway By The I-15 Connector

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CALIFORNIA (July 10, 2019) – A motorcyclist identified as Andrea Olivas was tragically killed in a car accident involving a Fedex truck on the 210 freeway near the 1-15 interchange. 

California Highway Patrol are saying that the accident took place around 2:12 p.m. Witnesses are saying that Andrea Olivas may have lost control before going down on the freeway. 

A Fedex truck ran Andrea Olivas over causing major injuries to the victim. The driver of the Fedex truck remained at the scene and cooperated with authorities. 

Paramedics rushed to the scene of the motorcycle accident in order to help the victim, but they were pronounced dead at the scene. Friends of Andrea Olivas are hosting a Facebook Fundraiser for the victim’s family. 

Preventing Truck Accidents

Nearly 4,000 people are killed every year in accidents with commercial trucks. According to Carindal, “It is estimated that 9% of all traffic fatalities involve commercial vehicles. And while 80% of accidents, both fatal and non-fatal, are the fault of the non-commercial driver, it is the trucker’s responsibility to help prevent the other 20%.” There are a number of measures that truck drivers can take to help prevent accidents including:

  • Driving the speed limit. Trucks must not exceed 55 mph on the highway.
  • Driving fatigued can be just as dangerous as driving intoxicated. Truck drivers should take occasional naps in between shifts to help stay well rested. 
  • Keep a safe following distance with other vehicles.  Even if a vehicle stops abruptly or a motorcyclist falls over a good truck driver should be able to stop in time.

Victims of truck accidents that survive are often left with serious and costly injuries. Many of these accidents are completely preventable. Depending on the facts of any case, there may be multiple sources of liability for a truck accident. 

Liability In Truck Accidents

Fedex trucks are considered common carriers under the law. A common carrier is simply any entity – public or private – which transports goods or people in exchange for money. As common carriers, Fedex trucks are held to a heightened standard in terms of safety. According to Squaw Valley Ski Corporation v. Superior Court, “The elevated standard of care for common carriers is “based on a recognition that the privilege of serving the public as a common carrier necessarily entails great responsibility, requiring common carriers to exercise a high duty of care towards their customers.”

There is simply no reason why a truck should ever run a pedestrian over. Like all other vehicles, trucks must maintain a safe distance with the vehicles ahead of them. According to California Vehicle Code 21703, “The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicle and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the roadway.” This is especially important for trucks. Due to their sheer size and weight, they take much longer to stop than cars. 

The family of any victim that died in a truck accident may have legal recourse through a wrongful death claim. A civil claim can help cover funeral costs, medical bills, lost wages and emotional trauma. Potential claimants can include a victim’s parents, children, spouse or siblings. Unfortunately, truck companies will often try to deny liability after an accident. A truck accident attorney can investigate your case free of cost and make sure that your rights are being protected. 

Investigating A Fedex Truck Accident

We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our deepest condolences to the family of Andrea Olivas as they are going through such a difficult time. Any person that may have seen what happened should reach out to the Rancho Cucamonga CHP as they continue their investigation. There needs to be some accountability for what happened. 

If someone that you love has been involved in a Fedex truck accident you may have legal recourse. There are a number of laws designed to protect your rights. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to answer any questions that you may have. We are committed to making sure that accident victims are aware of their rights and that they have a chance to get the justice that they deserve. Whether you need a free, independent investigation into a certain accident or just have questions about your rights we are here for you. You’re always welcome to reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285.

Call| Text | Chat
Text Us Call Us