Free Consultations / No Fees Until We Win  (213) 927-3700


Jun 19, 2015

Did you know that you could have your driver’s license suspended for not reporting a car accident to the DMV, even if you are not at fault? Any time you are involved in a car accident in California, one of the first things you should do is consult with a legal professional.

An accident attorney can help file necessary DMV forms. For example, the DMV requires anyone who has been in a car accident involving $750 or more in damage to file an SR-1 form, Report of Traffic Accident. In addition, if anyone in any of the vehicles involved was injured, you must file an SR-1 form, regardless of the amount of damage. This requirement applies even if you are not at fault. If your SR-1 is not filed within 10 days of the accident, the DMV can suspend your driver license. You may think that filing a claim with your insurance company, or providing information to the police would be enough, but the DMV’s requirement is completely separate.

In addition, if you want to confirm the other driver’s insurance, or the fact that they do not have insurance, you must file an SR-19 form, the Financial Responsibility Information Request, with the DMV. However, the request will be denied unless you have already filed an SR-1. To avoid this pitfalls, including having your license or driving privileges suspended after an accident, obtain the counsel and professional guidance of an experienced car accident lawyer in Los Angeles.

West Coast Trial Lawyers is one of the leading law firms in Los Angeles with reputable lawyers that will fight for you until the very end. For further information or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at (888) 539-9582 or visit

Call| Text | Chat
//chat code start //chat code end Text Us Call Us