Social media has become a vital component of our lives. Many of us check our Twitter and Facebook feeds just as often as we check our email or text messages. And while social media is an excellent way to stay in the loop on world events and to keep up with friends, it can be a serious liability when it comes to legal proceedings surrounding a car accident. Your social media accounts might very well end up as evidence against you.
The truth of the matter is that defense attorneys can and will perform internet background research on you, which includes careful examination of your Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, MySpace, and YouTube accounts, along with any other presence you may have on the web. The information they discover may be used to discredit you in the courtroom or to otherwise harm your claims. Even your web activity could be subpoenaed in an effort to bolster claims against you.
Here’s what you need to do in order to prevent case damage from social media:
- Suspend all use of social media for the duration of the case. Either close or deactivate all of your social media accounts, depending on the options available.
- Raise all of your social media settings to their highest privacy levels. Do not accept new friend requests until the case has concluded.
- Speak with no one but your car accident attorney in Los Angeles about the case. If anyone asks about it via social media or the web, state only that you are being represented and inquiries should be directed to your attorneys.
- Do not delete existing content on your accounts. Deleting information could be seen as destruction of evidence. Instead, do what you can to make all previous updates private.
- Do not discuss your case on any internet forum, chatroom, or website. Again, speak only to your attorney about the details of your case. Your attorney can answer any questions you need answered.
We understand that limiting social media is an inconvenience and a frustration. However, these requests are designed to help us protect you and to ensure the best possible outcome for your case. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit www.westcoasttriallawyers.com or contact us at (888) 539-9582 We are here to help.