Man Seriously Injured In Santa Maria Freak Accident After Metal Pipe Fell Off Truck And Struck Driver In The Forehead By The Intersection Of Betteravia Road and Telephone Road
SANTA MARIA, CALIFORNIA (May 3, 2019) – A driver was seriously injured in a car accident after a metal pipe or rod fell off a truck and came crashing through his windshield by the intersection of Betteravia Road and Telephone Road.
California Highway Patrol are saying the car accident took place around 5:00 p.m. For reasons that remain under investigation, the metal pipe fell off the truck, went through the windshield of a car and became impaled in the driver’s forehead.
There was a passenger in the car at the time of the accident, but they were unharmed. The driver sustained major injuries and had to be airlifted by CalSTAR helicopter to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.
It remains unclear if the truck involved in the accident stopped at the scene. A full investigation into the cause of the Santa Maria car accident remains ongoing at this time.
Liability In Accidents With Falling Debris From Trucks
Accidents involving objects falling from trucks or other cars may seem like a “freak occurrence.” But the truth is that these types of accidents are extremely common. According to AAA, “More than 200,000 crashes involved debris on U.S. roadways during the past four years […]. Road debris has resulted in approximately 39,000 injuries and more than 500 deaths between 2011 and 2014. AAA is calling for drivers to properly secure their loads to prevent dangerous debris.”
Truck drivers have a legal responsibility to secure their loads properly. Securing pipes is extremely important because they can easily become loose and seriously injure other drivers. According to one report by Home Steady, there are 6 general steps that truck drivers should take in order to secure a set of pipes:
- “Open the cargo bed gate at the end of the truck. Unroll two ratchet straps (at least two inches wide) and lay them out across the gate four feet apart, and parallel with each other.
- Load the pipes into the cargo bed so that ends of the pipes are resting out through the end of the bed. Secure the hooks together on the end of each ratchet strap, so that one hook rests in the other.
- Pull each strap around, so that its ratchet is accessible on one side of the pipes. Turn the ratchet on each of the straps to tighten the straps around the pipe.
- Unroll four ratchet straps (one-inch wide). Thread one strap between the pipes and the secured two-inch strap, on each side of the pipe load.
- Pull each of the one-inch straps so that their end hooks are together, side by side. Attach the two hooks on each one-inch strap to a securing bracket attached to the side wall of the cargo bed (there will be two brackets or more on each wall).
- Attach a small yellow piece of plastic sheeting (roughly 12 inches square) to the end of the pipe load that sticks out past the end of the cargo gate. String or tape can be used to secure the flag to the pipe.”
If a truck driver fails to secure their load of pipes and this causes an accident they or the company that they work for could face civil liability. Companies are generally responsible for the negligent conduct of their employees. Any person that is injured will be able to hold the negligent truck driver accountable through bodily injury claim. Damages in a claim can help a victim recover money for lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. A truck accident attorney can investigate all of the facts of your case free of cost and let you know what your legal rights are.
Getting Help After A Truck Accident
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our thoughts and prayers to the driver that was injured in this Santa Maria car accident by the intersection of Betteravia Road and Telephone Road. Any person that may have seen what happened should reach out to the CHP as they continue their investigation. There needs to be some accountability for what has happened.
Have you or someone that you love been injured after debris fell off a truck? You may be entitled to financial support in order to cover all of your medical bills. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to answer any questions that you may have. We are committed to making sure that accident victims get the medical and financial support that they need to fully recover. Whether you need more information about an accident or just have questions about your rights we are here for you. You’re always welcome to reach out to us at (888) 888-9285.