19-Year-Old Woman Injured In San Francisco Balboa Park BART Station Truck Accident Not Far From The Intersection of San Jose Avenue and Seneca Avenue By Leadership High School
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA (April 15, 2019) – A 19-year-old woman was critically injured after she was hit by a tractor-trailer truck by the Balboa Park BART Station not far from San Jose Avenue and Seneca Avenue.
San Francisco authorities are saying that the accident took place around 8:47 a.m. and came across a woman laying in the street. It was later determined that she was hit by a big rig truck and sustained critical injuries.
Police interviewed the truck driver involved, but it does not appear that any citations have been issued at this time. An investigation into the San Francisco Balboa Park BART Station truck accident remains ongoing.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents With Trucks
Nearly 4,000 people are killed every year in trucking accidents across the United States. Tens of thousands more are seriously injured. There are many causes of pedestrian accidents including:
- Unmarked Crosswalks: Intersections are the main location for pedestrian accidents. Clearly marked crosswalks help both pedestrians and drivers.
- Left-Hand Turns: Drivers making left-hand turns are more likely to cause accidents. When a driver is turning left they have to focus on avoiding oncoming traffic and may not see pedestrians crossing the street.
- Electronics: Texting, GPS use and other electronic distractions represent a real danger for pedestrians. A number of accidents take place near parking lots as truck drivers are dialing in their next location into a GPS.
- Drugs: Alcohol is not the only source of car accidents. Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications can be just as deadly. Every person should consult with their doctor about how certain medications may affect their ability to drive.
Victims of truck accidents should seek treatment and make sure that a police report is taken. Depending on the facts of any case, there may be numerous sources of liability for a truck accident.
Liability In Truck Accidents
There are numerous factors that have to be taken into consideration when determining liability for a truck accident. For example, how fast was a truck driver going at the time of an accident? Was the driver potentially distracted? Did the truck driver actually stop following the collision. A number of accidents take place and the truck driver didn’t even realize what happened. This is why it’s so important to make sure that investigators try to uncover any potential surveillance footage of the accident. But truck driver negligence is not the only cause of accidents.
Cities like San Francisco have a responsibility to design, construct and maintain roads that are reasonably safe. According to California Government Code 830.8, “A public entity may be liable for accidents approximately caused by its failure to provide a signal, sign, marking or device to warn of a dangerous condition which endangers the safe movement of traffic and which would not be reasonably apparent to, and would not have been anticipated by, a person exercising due care.” There are a number of ways that roads or intersections can be dangerous or more likely to contribute to accidents.
- Intersections can have a poor line of sight preventing drivers from being able to see pedestrians.
- Intersections may not have clear traffic or safety signals.
- Intersections may have poorly marked or unmarked pedestrian crosswalks.
Victims of truck accidents are able to recover damages for lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. The injuries sustained from a truck accident can be devastating and costly. It has been estimated that even a mild brain injury can cost over $100,000 in direct medical expenses. Indirect costs including time away from work can make injuries much more costly. A truck accident attorney can examine all of the facts of your case and let you know what your options are.
Getting Help After A Truck Accident
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our thoughts and prayers to the 19-year-old victim that was injured in this Balboa Park BART Station Truck Accident. It is our sincere hope that San Francisco authorities will work hard to make this intersection safer. Any person that may have seen what happened should reach out to authorities as they continue to investigate.
Have you or someone that you love been injured in a truck accident? There are a number of laws designed to protect your rights. Our team of personal injury attorneys can answer any legal questions that you may have. We care deeply that truck accident victims get the support that they need in order to get their lives back on track. Whether you just have questions about your rights or need more information about an accident we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285.