Yasar Barakzai Costa Mesa: 22-Year-Old Man Identified As Yasar Barakzai Died In Car Accident By The Intersection of Fairview Road and Adams Avenue
COSTA MESA, CALIFORNIA (March 23, 2019) – A 22-year-old man identified as Yasar Barakzai died in a bicycle accident with a Lyft driver not far from Fairview Road and Adams Avenue.
Costa Mesa police are saying that the car accident took place around 8:50 p.m. The car that hit Yasar Barakzai is being described as a silver Nissan sedan.
The Nissan was going Westbound of El Camino Drive which later turns into Adams Avenue. Yasar Barakzai was traveling northbound of Fairview Avenue when he was hit.
Paramedics rushed to the scene in order to help the bicyclist, but he was later pronounced dead due to his injuries. The driver of the Nissan remained at the scene and cooperated with authorities.
Ride-share Accident Statistics
Unfortunately, accidents like the one that killed Yasar Barakzai have become all too common in recent years. According to a new study from the University of Chicago and Rice University, ride-sharing services like Lyft and Uber have increased traffic deaths in the United States by 2% to 3%. One of the reasons Lyft and Uber is attractive to drivers is because both platforms offer a great deal of flexibility. A driver can work part-time on their own hours. Or, as is often the case, a driver can keep their full time job and drive for Lyft. There are a number of safety concerns associated with driving for either Lyft or Uber for extended periods:
- Lyft and Uber put caps on how long riders can work, but this doesn’t prevent drivers from doing other jobs while they are not driving. Over time ride-share drivers can become fatigued. According to the FMCSA, fatigue is one of the leading factors behind fatal car accidents.
- Lyft and Uber drivers very often don’t have professional driving experience. They may not be able to fully handle all of the unique and potentially dangerous driving tasks they are given.
- Unlike cab companies that most take their vehicles in for regular maintenance, Uber and Lyft drivers are given complete discretion about taking care of their vehicles. This can lead to situations where a car may not be safe to be on the road.
Ride-share accidents can leave victims with serious injuries and often result in death. Determining liability in an accident involving a ride-share vehicle can be extremely complicated. They will hinge on whether or not the ride-share operate was safely following the rules of the road. Whether Lyft or Uber will be directly liable for an accident will depend on multiple factors as well.
Liability In Ride-Share Accidents
All Uber and Lyft drivers must carry personal liability insurance. If a driver is offline and they are not using the app, all claims will be filed against the negligent driver. However, there are at least three scenarios where Uber or Lyft may face liability for an accident:
- If a driver is on their way to pick up a passenger and they were negligent, Uber or Lyft’s liability coverage will typically apply.
- If a driver was transporting a passenger from one destination to another and were negligent in an accident, Uber or Lyft’s liability coverage will typically apply.
- If a driver was driving around waiting for a ride request prior to an accident, Uber or Lyft’s liability coverage will typically apply.
The family of a victim that dies in a Lyft or Uber accident may be able to seek justice under California’s Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. A claim can help a family recover damages for funeral expenses, lost wages and loss of love. Unfortunately, ride-share companies often work to try to deny liability after an accident. A Lyft accident attorney can examine all of the facts of your case and let you know what your options are.
Investigating A Ride-Share Accident
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our deepest condolences to the family of Yasar Barakzai as they are grieving such an incredible loss. There needs to be a thorough investigation into what happened for the sake of all of those that have been affected. Anyone that may have knowledge about the accident should contact the Costa Mesa Police Department.
If you or someone that you love has been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident you may have legal recourse. Our team of highly experienced personal injury attorneys are here to answer any legal questions that you may have. We can investigate your case free of cost and get you answers about what happened. We are committed to making sure that accident victims rights are protected and that companies like Uber and Lyft are held accountable for their actions. Whether you just have questions about your rights or need a free police report after an accident we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285.