Free Consultations / No Fees Until We Win  (213) 927-3700

ANAHEIM: Shadrach Diaz, Kai Burke, Cristina Gaona Injured In DUI Car Accident By Orangewood Avenue and Manchester Avenue

Jul 29, 2019

Kai Burke Anaheim: Shadrach Diaz, Kai Burke, Cristina Gaona Injured In Anaheim DUI Car Accident By Orangewood Avenue and Manchester Avenue

ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA (July 29, 2019) – Multiple teenagers from Utah identified as Shadrach Diaz, Kai Burke, Cristina Gaona were seriously injured in a car accident with a drunk driver by Orangewood Avenue and Manchester Avenue. 

Anaheim police are saying that the accident took place on Friday before midnight. Shadrach Diaz, Kai Burke and Cristina Gaona were in a Honda Pilot when they were hit by a 24-year-old man that ran a red light. 

Police arrested the driver of the Dodge that him them on suspicion of felony DUI. All of the victims are expected to survive, but many were left with traumatic injuries. 

Cristina Gaona of St. George sustained a head injury and multiple fractures. You can help with her medical expenses by donating to her Go Fund Me page. 

Shadrach Diaz sustained broken ribs, a broken trachea and internal bleeding. You can help with his medical expenses by donating to his Go Fund Me page. 

Kai Burke was admitted to intensive care with a brain bleed but is currently in stable condition. An investigation into the accident remains ongoing at this time. 

Liability In DUI Accidents

According to the Centers For Disease Control, “In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.” Victims of DUI accidents often suffer from a wide variety of different injuries including: 

  • Broken bones
  • Head injuries 
  • Internal trauma
  • Lacerations

Many of the injuries associated with car accidents are not necessary physical. Victims of serious car accidents often suffer from psychological trauma including PTSD. According to Very Well Mind, “If you’ve been in a car accident, you’re at risk for developing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Research shows that about 9 percent of the general population who are in car accidents develop PTSD.” Some of the symptoms of PTSD include:

  • Headaches
  • Confusion
  • Racing heartbeat
  • Unwanted thoughts of the traumatic event

It is a felony to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol. According to California Vehicle Code 23152, “(a) It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage to drive a vehicle. (b) It is unlawful for a person who has 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.” Any person that drives a car under the influence will likely face civil as well as criminal liability. 

Any person that is injured in a car accident with a drunk driver is able to seek justice through a bodily injury claim. Damages in a civil claim can help cover lost wages,  medical bills and pain and suffering. The smart thing to do after an accident is to seek medical treatment and then the advice of a car accident attorney. An attorney can examine the facts of your case free of cost and let you know what your rights are. 

Getting Help After A Car Accident

We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our thoughts and prayers to Shadrach Diaz, Kai Burke, Cristina Gaona and all of the victims of this accident. It is deeply unfortunate that so many drivers continue to endanger the lives of others by drinking. Any person that may have seen what happened should reach out to police. 

Have you or someone that you care about been injured in a car accident? You may have legal recourse. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to answer any questions that you may have. We care deeply that accident victims get all of the support that they legally deserve. Whether you just have questions about the law in California or need more information about an accident we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (888) 888-9285.

Call| Text | Chat
Text Us Call Us