First and foremost, after a truck accident, you have rights. You have the right to speak with an attorney, and you have the right to seek financial compensation from the party (or parties) responsible for your losses. You have the right to decide when (and if) to settle your case; and, if you do not receive a fair settlement offer, you have the right to present your case to a jury who will decide whether you are entitled to a financial recovery.
- Make Sure Everyone Is Okay. When a truck accident occurs, the first thing you need to do is to check on all parties involved in the accident to make sure they are okay. If you suspect that anyone may be injured, call 911 immediately.
- Call the Police. Even if you think there are no injuries or that the damages are minimal, it is very important to contact the police and ask them to make a report of the accident. The accident report is critical evidence that your attorney will need to support your claim.
- Gather Contact and Insurance Information. Make sure that you collect the names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers and insurance information from everyone who is involved in the crash. You should also write down the make, model, and year of all vehicles.
- Take Pictures. If you have access to a cell phone or camera, it is a good idea to take pictures all vehicles involved in the accident, along with the location of the accident. You should also make note of the road, weather and traffic conditions.
- Watch What You Say. It is very important to watch what you say when a truck accident occurs. You should never make any admissions or make an assertion as to who may be at fault for the accident.
- Talk with Witnesses. If you are able, make sure that you write down the contact information from anyone who may have seen the crash or can speak to the weather, traffic or road conditions at the time of the accident.
- Seek Medical Attention. Even if you think that your injuries are minor or non-existent, you should still be checked out by a physician. Oftentimes, truck accident victims suffer serious injuries that are not readily apparent or surface days or even weeks after the crash.
- Call a Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer. Immediately after a truck accident occurs, trucking companies and insurance carriers are notorious for sending representatives to the scene to gather evidence and conduct their own analysis of the crash so they can limit their liability. You should never speak with any of these representatives until you have consulted with a lawyer experienced in handling truck accident cases. While these companies may try to trick you into believing that they are going to take care of you, you need to have a qualified lawyer at your side who will protect and assert your rights at every stage of the process.
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, the attorneys at West Cost Trial Lawyers know what it takes to get fair and just compensation for your losses and injuries. Call us today toll free at (888) 341-9802 or email [email protected] to schedule a free consultation with our experienced legal team.